Wednesday, November 20, 2013

recovery

This morning, while the dog and I walked in the annex (small forest), a runner passed us three times.  I almost never see anyone else running in there.  It was a sign: get back out there.

I still feel a bit tender, though, so I just did some light power cleans and pike situps*.  However, tomorrow, I will attempt to run home from an exam.  8-ish miles.  It might be mostly walking, or perhaps 3.5 hours of writing and pensive thinking and panicked guesstimating will coil the springs more tightly than I could ever imagine.

*I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover pike situps.  I don't like core work because I find it either boring or fussy, and often both.  Situps are ok because they are simple, but they sometimes take an awful lot of time to get to the burn.   What typically happens is that I work up to about one hundred and then lose interest...I've done this a few times now.  Admittedly, I haven't tried them with weights, but pike situps seem to do the trick just as well, and perhaps target my lower abs and hip flexors more.  And pike situps are funny.  Close the book, open the book, close the book, open the book.  Or maybe a trap, a rusty old trap that doesn't close properly.  That's more accurate.

No comments: