Sunday, May 27, 2012

Long Run....Monday?

Hopefully we'll both be game for it.  Instead, I jogged for an hour on the treadmill this morning.  It was warm inside but hot outside (34 C now and still rising) and I needed something flat.

I settled into a nice place and zone very quickly; I'm still sore from Friday's workout, but it did not affect running.  It was a bit disconcerting to see that my pace was only 4.6-4.7 mph, and part of me wants to calibrate the treadmill (mark the belt, time, measure, etc) but the other part of me, which I'm trying to emphasize, is thrilled that I had an hour-long easy run.   My breathing stayed easy and my legs stayed pretty loose.

There were a few glitches due to a hastily-burned CD that might have been defective to begin with.  It choked through the fifth track and then gave up.  I was amazed at how much this affected me.  The music has been so conducive to treadmill running and I was pushed and pulled in a haze of endorphins and then, blip, blip, I was back on this planet and in the midst of exertion.

Today is Race Weekend back home and I'm a bit sad that I'm not participating.   I like watching the races and running the races and going to the race expo, and generally being surrounded by other people who also practice my hobby.  It's essentially a convention.

However, I am pumped by a change in running log.  This year, I decided to use a free Garmin program I'd downloaded, and I gave it a fair go for five months, but it doesn't suit me as much as an Excel file.  I lost my 2nd Excel running log with my last laptop death but now have a 3rd one set up with pretty colours, one for each week, and space enough to input whatever the heck I like, and the freedom to omit whatever I wish.  The Garmin program is too strict and narrow, I suppose.

No comments: