Saturday, May 26, 2012

lazy Saturday

My husband and I both attempted Z's latest workout yesterday, ZWOW 19, and we were both sore today.  Hey, maybe I should provide urls for these:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reku3SknC-4 (with apologies for the ad).

I cannot do pistol squats yet.  Even going down just halfway is a strain.  Nevertheless, I did not quite my absolute best, and made it through the 5 sets.  Today, certain isolated parts of my butt are sore, mainly one point on the right side.  This is a muscle that has never felt sore before.  I suppose it has spent the last 30-odd years basking in inactivity; I hope to rudely awaken it more often.

We were content to walk around town this morning and check out a few shops that we hadn't visited before.   It was an outing that got out of hand: a quick trip to the farmers' market turned into a multi-hour exploration in search of a chair I'd painted for a local fundraiser.  We didn't find it, but we found other things instead.  

Even if my butt had been more cooperative, I would not have run outside today because it was too hot.  Summer has been coming and going for a while, but perhaps it's here in earnest.

Yesterday, I jogged for 20 minutes on the treadmill marginally faster than I'd jogged on Thursday.  It felt better too.  Tomorrow's plan is a longer run, hopefully 9ish miles.  We'll see how hot it is.

My running motivation is not at an all time low, but it's hovering just above the silt-choked bottom.   The heat has coated it with stringy brown algae.  It's not super hot, and we've already had a bunch of 30+C days, but I'll feel better about them once we're in June.  May still seems like it should be spring-like.

The strange thing is, I'm actually not too put out by the heat.  I finally managed to enjoy summer running last year (not having colitis really helped!), and I did a marathon in 30-32C without any problems beyond the usual marathon issues (except that I had to stop eating gels after an hour and a bit, but I was jogging easily enough to not require food).   And I've gotten used to the heat here; I have been sweating copiously even while walking, but it's ok.   Rather, I have seized upon the heat as an excuse.  Oh, it's too hot to run!

I hope this post isn't too disjointed.  Today has been intellectually and artistically lazy, not just physically so.

No comments: