Monday, March 30, 2009

Sunday

Wasn't my morning and I was late to run club, once again. I decided to sleep in, but if I don't get up and out early on Sundays, the long run gets shortened. So I pulled on my things and jogged over. Various people were doing various distances--Gaz #1 was doing 25km--so I figured I'd just jog around, hopefully for two hours. (Had it been balmy, I would have stretched it out for longer, but hopefully I'll do a long run tomorrow).

I found the group--I'm usually late so have gotten pretty good at guesstimating where to meet them. They were going so fast! I think that's partly why I just can't drag myself out of bed on Sunday in time...I like having the extra couple of miles or so to warm up. My usual pace has gotten slower--it has gotten easier, but also slower. Maybe I'm lazier or more tired. And I don't feel there's much of a difference between running 2-4 hrs at <9:00/mile and running at >10:00/mile. I used to feel bad about jogging slower than 9:00/mile, and now 10:00 or 11:00 or sometimes even 12:00/mile seems fine. As long as I'm happy with my improvements in races and speedwork, I don't really care except when I want to chat with others with the group and they're going so fast! lol

Anyway, I jogged more than 2hrs, more like 2 and a half. almost 15 miles. Some walking in there, but I'm training for an ultra! I didn't eat or drink anything during the run, but certainly did afterwards. If I do a loooong run tomorrow, I'll definitely be chowing down during it. It's good to do some longish runs without fuel, though...helps me tap into the fat. I think i'm getting more used to that feeling of gradually heavier leg muscles straining more to get at that ATP. Unfortunately, my brain runs on the diminishing source of glycogen too, and apparently the demands of the brain come before those of the muscles, but I still get pretty stupid after running for a while. Gaz was very sporting for not pointing out that I was a babbling idiot.

177ish miles this month...will I make it to 200?

No comments: