Wednesday, January 29, 2014

an extra-dimensional dog-like run

Yeah, so I broke my no-running-until-February resolution again.   Beach runs and snow runs are just too tempting.  And I can't pass up a chance to use my goretex winter running shoes.  I got them in 2011, I think (maybe even 2010), and I've used them only a handful of times.  They're too heavy and stiff for most things, but they're great for snow.

Turns out running all the time in sand is also great for snow.  In years past, I had to adjust to a slower, sloggier pace once snow fell.  The first few minutes felt like learning to run, and it didn't always get much better than that.  Today, however, I was going down the road in a few inches of snow on the edge, waiting to step into molasses, waiting for the chickens of inefficiency to roost...nope.  There were more difficult moments later on when the drift was thicker and I was going uphill, but, for the most part, the snow was merely a smoother lighter sand.  The ice patches slowed me down more.

I was with the dog but we met my husband driving back about a 1/2 mile down the road.  The dog was doing fine but the road was a bit slushy, and my husband offered to take him for a walk.  So I ditched the dog and carried on (and the dog had much more fun having zoomies in the small forest anyway).

In the large forest, I saw some footprints, including those of a dog.  And then, after about a quarter of a mile or so, I realized that there were no other footprints anymore, just the dog's, and really a fox's, probably.  They veered off a short while later and I was on my own.  Well, not quite: there were other tracks too.  I didn't recognize the animals, but I could see that animals had been there.  This is perhaps what it's like running as a dog, smelling (or seeing) everybody who's already gone by.  Oh, yeah, uh-huh, three humans and a squirrel here.  On bare asphalt, this info is lost, but snow records it all.  I've probably written about this before, but it always beguiles me.

There were also lots of long ridges.  Some of them were collapsed, as though rodents had tunneled under the snow, but other ridges were solid.  Roots.  However, I was more worried about putting my foot in a hole.  I went more cautiously than normal, and this got mentally tiring after awhile, but it felt so gratifying to break trail.  And everything was so soft. 

At a T-intersection, I debated, long way or short way.  The long way was so tempting, especially since I could take bridle paths without many roots, but I decided to do the prudent thing.  Eventually, I rejoined tracks, met a few people including a loose dog I recognized, and exited the forest.   I wish I could've stayed in their longer.  It was kind of like this.  It took me a few tries to find a good soundtrack because most of the wintry ones were too cold...this wasn't a cold run, but a rather cozy one.


I jogged for about an hour, and then did some resistance exercises afterward.  I'm at the point now where I can do the first or second half of a chin up...I haven't actually gained any strength, but dropping nearly ten pounds since the ultra ten days ago has made things easier.  This time, I'm not sick from gluten or anything else; I still have an appetite and it feels like I've been eating plenty.   However, I've eased off the whey protein and extra snacks and general gluttony.  Maybe I got fatigued of eating as well as running!

No comments: