Tuesday, February 12, 2013

a lot of walking. Let's call it hiking!

Saturday: walked with my husband and the dog.

Sunday: hiked with my husband and the dog for 2+ hours.  We checked out a national forest about an hour away.  It's not really worth going over for shorter hikes like that, but the cool thing is that camping is allowed pretty much everywhere in the forest, and it's large enough to get lost in for awhile.  The plan is to do a multi-day thing sometime later this year.

Monday: walked with the dog.  We found and checked out another path which I'd hoped would go to the main road which I've been trying to find a path to, but instead it became what looked like a stunt bike track with ramps and obstacles, and ended in yet another backyard, but there was another trail going off it...I'll check it out.

Today: ran/walked (probably 50:50) for 50-odd minutes, then did zwow #12.  The dreaded pistol squats!  I am so out of form with those; this is a workout which I really should do once a week.

I'd intended to mostly run, but I've gotten into an odd habit.  Usually I finish eating around 8 pm because we start to go to bed shortly after nine, and then I wake up around six or so (my husband has to get up earlier, hence the earlier hours) and study or read, and then go for the run about an hour later...without breakfast.  I drink enough water but don't feel like eating anything much before noon these days (lunch has become my largest meal of the day).  Today, we started our run kind of late, around 8 am, and I hadn't eaten for 12 hours at that point.  I didn't feel hungry when we started, but it caught up to me and I started to feel nauseated.  Walking uphill and running downhill was the ticket!  So what if I end up doing that?  As long as I'm out for a while, and walking briskly when I walk, I'm getting a workout.

When I got home, I drank some non-alcoholic ginger beer to help my stomach settle, and then I did zwow #12.

I will find something unoffensive to eat before running.  I don't want anything sweet, like fruit, and I don't want anything heavy, and I don't want carbs like crackers or cereal or whatever.  The only thing I want seems to be something that doesn't exist.  I have some meal replacement shakes but I don't like having them before exercising because they're too sweet.  Maybe I should try some bland protein powder.  I also have supplements, which I've been taking, but they don't sit so well on an empty stomach.

This kind of thing has happened after gluten issues in the past; the last time was several months ago.  I think it's because my guts want to ease off digestion a bit while they're healing.  This time is pretty pleasant because I don't feel sick to my stomach (except during that run today) and I don't feel like I'm starving, either. We've been eating very healthily apart from what has become our usual evening desert: fresh baked Brazilian cheese puffs.

The easiest recipe in the world:

Mix (I put everything in a blender)
1/2 cup milk (almond milk is fine)
1/4 canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup tapioca flour (arrowroot starch is also fine)

Very very briefly mix in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.

Bake in greased muffin tin for 20 min @ 400 F.   Yeah, I have the recipe memorized by now.

Honey butter goes really well with these.  No wonder I'm not hungry in the mornings!  lol

3 comments:

Fran said...

Ooooh sounds neat! Can we see a photo?

Fran said...

Of the Brazilian things I mean, in case that`s not obvious....

cs said...

They look like a cross between airy cupcakes and mini-Yorkshire puddings.

They don't stick around long enough for photos usually, but I'll snap a pic next time.