Sunday, February 17, 2013

Another link

Fri: jog/walk
Sat: walked with my husband and the dog when two pitbull type mixes ran up to us.  No owners in sight, and the male wanted to play.  Now, if the owner was around, we could have discussed it (especially, I would have warned the other owner that when my dog plays with other male dogs of his build, it sounds HORRIBLE but is harmless--yes, play growling exists; it is clearly non-aggressive, higher in pitch, accompanied by play bows, etc) and we could have posted a lookout and let them bounce around for a bit, maybe, terrain permitting...as it was, my dog stayed on his leash and lost his enthusiasm for the encounter as the other dog got peskier...and then two more dogs ran up, both mutts.  They had collars and looked sleek and fat, so I wasn't too concerned, but by this point, the large male dog was putting his paws on my dog's back whenever possible, and the owners finally appeared over the crest of a hill, still relatively fair away, two women moving rather slowly.  Kudos for them for walking that far, they weren't in good shape, BUT--

AHHH!

We were friendly with them at first--I keep reminding myself that I should be happy that someone is out walking, especially in an area such as this where it is not an activity that happens naturally in the course of a day.  The shortest distance to a store here is at least 2.5 miles :(     And then when my husband explained that my dog was reaching his tolerance limit, one of the women says something about my dog needing a pack.

Yes, a pack at home, which he has.  Not a strange pack at large jumping on his arse!  I don't know what my husband was telling her, probably not statistics from his recent masters thesis that showed correlation between fatal dog attacks and packs of dogs running at large without human supervision.   Other factors contribute, lack of human contact, etc, and these dogs did not look capable of violence, but what would happen if they ran up to a dog-aggressive dog?  Or a coyote or feral dog?   What possible justification could there be for letting four dogs run out of sight?  I have no idea what the women were saying after the pack comment except that they weren't calling off their dogs.  When I meet morons like these, I automatically tune them out and focus on the dogs.  It's really bad because sometimes I'm half-hearing an apology but I don't acknowledge it because I'm trying to get my dog out of there.  I shooed away the dogs, said "let's go" (my husband was holding the leash, but my dog knows "let's go" and was eager for it) and we walked away.   I think I said "have a good day" echoing my husband's superior politeness, but maybe not. 

The funny thing is, we'd met a man holding his golden retriever by the collar (no leash either) near the entrance, and he looked pissed at first, but softened in demeanor as we approached, and he warned us that it was "crowded back there".  It's got to be pretty bad when someone else with an unleashed dog is made unhappy.

This was Friday afternoon on a nice sunny day, so we know when to not go back! 

Sun: 30 min jog with my husband and the dog, plus another 30+ minutes walking.  We found a trail that links the junction leading to trail 4 with trail 2/3, but further down than the other junction...I should be labeling these side trails, but I'm still losing track of them, and my nomenclature is based on exits and entrances.  What do I call the trail that goes between 5a1b (it gets messy in the furthest reaches) and 2b2?

And then I did zwow 53 by mistake.  I watched the preview for 54, clicked back to the menu page, and then got distracted.  Halfway the first set, I realized my mistake, but kept going....and then the last exercise was pistol squats.  Oh, DISMAL.  My glutes still haven't recovered from the last time.

No comments: