Thursday, January 31, 2013

In the forest

I got a good night's sleep at last!  The dog and I were out for 1:35 today, and probably 80 minutes of that was jogging.  Actually, I'm not really sure.  We went to the larger forest today and I still don't know the trails by heart but there are free maps available!  So I spent a bit of time checking the map.  I kept my effort as easy as possible, took some water and a gel, and we had a nice run.  I really need to get back to longer ventures; I'm still out of shape somewhat and the best way for me to improve stamina is by improving endurance by going on long and super easy jogs.

We also spent a bit of time on another loose dog that I thought was a stray for sure because it was dirty and matted and wore no collar and was loose beside a road with a 45 mph speed limit.  It looked like a small labradoodle.  But, no, it had an owner who couldn't be bothered to cross the street.  Why didn't I just keep running and have the dog follow me?   I rather enjoy that sometimes. However, since I'm new to the area and Southern culture and all, I'm giving everyone one free pass here.  Stuff happens.  My dog was loose for a few minutes last week because he figured out that he could bump open the back door when it's unlatched.  He ran around in the yard after something and then back into the house. Now the door stays latched until he has a collar and leash on.

And next time we jog down that road (despite the speed limit, it has a very wide shoulder that's nice to run on), Crispin or whatever his name is might get the opportunity for a jog too if he's loose again.  Meanwhile, I was very polite and even told the dog to wait until a car passed and then I shooed him across.  The lady apologized and I told her it's alright, it was, and then I quickly jogged away before I heard her say something that could annoy me.

When we got home, I did half of Zwow #2.

No comments: