Friday, January 11, 2013

~

1.5 miles barefoot on the sand yesterday.   Nothing today but we left the beach.

I was hoping for a run evocative of a futuristic wasteland, lots of empty sand and sun with distant explosions.   Our sojourn was close to Camp Lejeune, and for the last few days someone has been conducting training or testing.  A few evenings ago, we thought it was just waves from the redoubled winds, but we realized the next day that we were hearing explosions.  The day after that, the single explosions became series of explosions.   I haven't heard explosions since we moved from Aberdeen Proving Ground.  Truly a blast from the past!

I was sad to leave the beach even though the tides have shifted against my schedule: high waters and fluffy soft sands in the morning.   My calves are a bit sore from the barefoot running and when I started sinking into the sand too deelply, I decided to walk instead. 

We are now in the town we'll be living in, but in a hotel for the next several days.  I'm not sure how this will impact running, but there are supposedly trails close to our new home.   Maybe even a trail right behind the house, apparently (fingers crossed).  I have become spoiled with the beach at my doorstep the last two weeks: less laundry.   Is this too gross?  Without ordinary passerby in close quarters, I don't feel that an absolutely fresh set of clothes is as necessary; airing out the clothes between workouts is good enough for several days.

Meanwhile, here at this hotel, this probably won't fly! 


No comments: