Thursday, May 26, 2011

tapering?

I'm feeling like I'm feeling too blase about this marathon.

This morning: 6.2 miles, including 4X 500M tempo, just to shake the sludge off. The first three were kind of dull and my form was off, and then muscles started reawakening for the fourth, which is what I wanted. So that became the last repeat and the last run of any substance (a few miles on Fri and/or Sat, perhaps).

I have been eating well this week, the usual menu: fruit smoothie for breakfast, salad and lentils and rice and vegs for lunch, and nothing too crazy for supper, plus milk and/or cheese. Tonight will be fish and salad, tomorrow, I haven't decided yet, and Saturday will be very bland rice pasta. My guts feel fine and I think the sluggishness I feel now is mainly due to tapering. My lower right leg is a bit tight; that and a weird though small reaction to a bug bite, have been my only tapering mishaps. Yesterday I managed to trip down the front steps and run into a handrail corner but neither was injurious.

This evening, my husband and I will go pick up our bibs and probably buy our gels for the race. The Gu lineup that worked for me during my hard "serious" long run was lemon sublime, blackberry, pineapple (roctane), and vanilla orange (roctane)....I will probably have to have a 5th gel, and I wasn't taken with the lemon sublime flavour anyway so some thought is still required. I just looked on the Gu website: trawberry banana has suddenly become appealing. Things were simpler when I stuck with plain Gu, but simpler isn't always best (parsimony during scientific explanation aside...).

No comments: