Wednesday, January 20, 2010

a run

A bad run.

After more than a week off, I decided to jog for 20 minutes today. It was not good. I was not surprised, though, except to feel a slight twinge on the outside of my right knee. Eons ago, I had ITBS there and I've done a pile of rehab exercises since then to keep that away, and it has stayed away for the last 4-5 years, through umpteen 60+ mile weeks and 6 marathons.

It's not bad now, just a twinge that I don't feel anymore, but it's still discouraging.

The run was like any other run I've had when fighting illness. I used to have a rule: when I felt that heavy and sore three or four days in a row, it meant that I was fighting something and had to rest, take the rest of the week off, whatever. That rule has changed. My last good run was in August. I still remember it, the joy of flying out with muscles that felt like they were fresh out of a box. Springs. Now it feels like I'm using stuff I got from a late night dig at the cemetery.

I have my gut appointment on Monday, and I'm bracing to hear the news that, no, it's not celiac, it's not anything except in your head although you might be a nervous pooper, so please leave now. I don't want to have celiac, but I'm craving a solution. If it's not celiac, than god knows what it is or, more importantly, how long it'll take to figure out how to feel better.

I'm still doing yoga, up to 3 sun salutations a day, plus classes. I have to use up a yoga package, but that's timely. It's not making me feel better, but at least it's something. Fortunately, my body has decided it needs to sleep lots, so I don't have to take pain killers to sleep anymore. Unfortunately, this means that I sleep 9-10 hrs a night and also fall asleep during the day, on the bus, in class, on my textbooks.... Fortunately, I'm a student. Unfortunately, I have full-time hospital practicals coming up in March, and then, hopefully, I'll be working...my goal is to get sorted before then.

I'm also considering aqua therapy. There's a pool near my house that has a bunch of classes. I think I'll go to reception and ask about participating. I'd considered swimming, but since much of the pain is in my shoulders, it didn't seem wise. But something gentler in water might help me find that balance between a healing blood flow and muscle damage.

No comments: