Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 3

1 sun salutation

4ish mile run/aborted long run.

It wasn't my day. I should have known. Last night my neck was sore. Other things too as usual but usually my neck doesn't feature as strongly so it was a little odd. It was uncomfortable while I was lying down, but I didn't take aspirin and had an ok night of sleep. The lymph nodes in my neck feel swollen so maybe that's why my neck was sore. I don't really know. However, strangely, this morning my neck feels fine perhaps because the other regions of discomfort have caught up, including my guts.

I'd talked with Gaz about doing a long run with an expresso break. We met up with the rest of the group and started off. after a few miles, I had to drop out. The usual suspects: lower right quadrant pain, sore muscles, sore joints, sore bones, sour mood, but worse than usual.

However, perhaps this is the worst! Tomorrow's the big day if I so choose. Definitely, I'm getting the blood tests. Definitely, I'm cutting back on wheat afterward. I'm still wavering over the extent, though. I was gung ho about quitting it completely even this morning, but now I'm reconsidering yet again. Dropping it entirely would complicate diagnosis if the test results come back positive. I don't think that's likely, and the GI doctor didn't think it likely, but the fact remains that my fitness and health have decreased after I'd recovered from the heart operation and there seems to be no reason except eating more wheat than usual. The first couple of weeks after the operation were sort of rough, but after two weeks, I was running again, after another week at about the same pace and effort as before, and then I had 3-4 good weeks and then things started getting worse again and they've been swirling towards the septic ever since. Wheat seems to be the culprit; I'd best keep eating it and see the process through.

Yet wheat also makes me drowsy and stupid and that will conflict with a few challenges this month. Perhaps giving it up for a few days prior each time will be the solution.

No comments: