Monday, October 19, 2009

Long run

Saturday, I ran about 10K with friends and then had breakfast. The run was easy for them, not so easy for me. After a while, my legs got stiffer. But I kept up. Apparently the run was around 5:30/K.

Sunday, I jogged about 10 miles with the dog. Funnily enough, my Garmin resurfaced (while we were looking for something else which we still haven't found so we're still missing something and thus still not ahead). It seemed like an obvious sign to check in. Turns out that, yes, my jogging speed is around 10 min/mile these days. A little slow for the great weather we've been having, but I regret more that I'm lacking the higher gears, but I have to accept this.

I still haven't had any news about when I can take the antibody test or whatever--I'm rather anxious about getting this over with so that I can change my diet to something kinder. In my presently dull state, I can manage jogging 40-60 min a day, but the group runs and long runs I want to do require a bit more than I can manage. My muscles aren't recovering like they used to. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll get used to it. My heart is fine. It still feels momentarily sore after each new increase in effort, but there's been definite improvement. At first, five minutes was a stretch, then ten, then twenty, then an hour, then 80 min...I think 50 min of jogging is actually my level of comfort now. Definitely forty, some days sixty. I start to feel more sore after seventy and that's mostly my legs.

Still, I was surprised by how much the ten-miler sapped me. AS much as I don't want to have a plan, I cannot ditch hopes of aiming for the Winterman in February, and it would be nice to manage two hour runs comfortably by November. Maybe the next ten-miler will go better. I figure I'll register anyway, while the price is low, and then if I have to drop to a shorter race, I wouldn't have paid much more than registering for that shorter race later on. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm taking a day off running and making broth with the duck leftovers from Thanksgiving. I've been eating plenty of protein and fat at least!

No comments: