Monday, August 11, 2014

~

Achieving homeostasis

Yesterday, walk, 20 min tempo run, leg day, yoga
Today, walk, arm/chest day (and yoga this evening)

I've recently assessed my lack of motivation; I've decided that, for the time being, maintenance will be sufficient.  I have to run and lift just enough, and I definitely have to do more yoga.   It's been a while since I've had a regular practice, but I need to hit a balance:

Too much yoga -> SVT.  Chaturanga-type poses are the culprit, but anything that compresses my chest, especially during inhalation, can be a trigger.

Not enough yoga -> scoliosis-related back pain.  It's been creeping up and finally I've gotten to the point where it's affecting sleep.  I used to have it for years, but I first got rid of it when I took up yoga about 14 years ago. 


There is a possible balance, and there are a ton of yoga videos on Youtube.  I have no excuse.

But this is but part of a comprehensive endeavour.  I've been trying to improve for I don't know how long, and this often leaves me disappointed, and probably I'm being unnecessarily unrealistic.  Perhaps improvements are still taking place, just not as apparently, but I have to hinge my satisfaction on the process and the maintenance--I should keep in mind that I work out so that I will be healthier now and especially, hopefully, when I am older, but I have to focus on the *doing*.

For example, when I did my tempo run yesterday, my thoughts were the usual "this is uncomfortable" "this will make me faster" "when can I stop" "this has to be good training"...and then I retreated from these negative and somewhat abstract thoughts, and tried to appreciate the sensations on their own terms.  Yes, discomfort, but this was my body at work.  Being capable of a higher level of effort, without actually being threatened, is good fortune, and I should appreciate it for that, and not for where it might lead me.

No comments: