Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I didn't make it into the dawn

Well, it was still dawn when we ran, but not that crazy atmospheric gold dawn. I don't think it lasts too long. Will try to catch it tomorrow.

The dog and I ran about 8 miles. It felt sort of off...aerobically, very easy, but the mechanics were somehow not efficiently aligned, plus my legs felt a bit heavy. But I couldn't slow down. It felt worse to go slower; my body kept picking the pace back up.

This is something I've been thinking about: ideal pace. Yes, there's one for every distance, etc...I long for the pace that really feels good. There are actually a few: the slow dreamy and restorative jog around 11 min/mile which I can't seem to tap into these days despite spending many miles this past summer in it, the quick trot at about 8 min/mile (a bit slower and easier than my recent 1/2), and this faster pace where I lean forward a bit more and somehow my legs become light and almost absent, the motion becomes that fluid and effortless and superfluous jiggles vanish BUT my lungs burn. I can't keep it up for very long! I can't even capture it reliably by trying to run faster: if I push too hard, the form is lost. I've done whole workouts which are at or around that pace without feeling it, and I actually don't know exactly how fast it is, just how it feels.

It seems to happen when I fall into a faster pace for no reason except that I feel like running faster. Today, for instance, on our way back near the end of the run, we hit a dirt path and it felt good to pick up the pace and there it was. for a minute or two, it was transcending and nearly perfect. My dog broke into a canter and it was a whole new level. And then the oxygen debt hit and I slowed down

I feel like I have to handle it in a certain way: no push, no pry. I'm running mostly without the Garmin anyway which helps resist the temptation to find out how fast it is. I just have to remind myself that I seek the feeling, not the numbers. Open up and see what happens, enjoy it, but don't reach for more. Not yet.

After today's run, I did a new bodyrock routine. It went well: more exercises, longer reps, but just two sets. It was easier mentally.

No comments: