Friday, October 1, 2010

snow peas

Until I figure out the count, my titles will be whatever I ate last. Vendu!

This morning, the dog and I walked for a hour, including 2 sets of stairs, just like Wednesday. I believe there are 260 stairs. Running, it takes me about 1:45-1:50 to ascend; walking takes me 2:15ish; walking actually feels harder.

I got up to 5 repeats before the hiking trip, which helped a LOT. I figure that, as my foot heals, I'll substitute running for walking/stairs every 2nd day. Eventually, I'll slip running segments in, but keep doing the stairs until there's too much snow.

On the one hand, the stairs are really boring compared to rocks; on the other hand, I kind of like getting to know them better.

Another observation about quitting the rocks (some loose) and uneven footing--I no longer have to concentrate where I step. It was actually mentally tiring at some points trying to determine the best footing--I especially remember one 'easy' flat trail that was really a rock scramble--after an hour, my head hurt. And most of those rocks weren't moving! One beach we were on was all large rocks and most of them were loose; eventually I got the hang of lightly going from the tops of rock to rock (and not spazzing completely when one tilted or rolled). At first, though, it was very slow going. Maybe it was like learning to walk. Now that I'm back at home, I'm mourning that added dimension; I look at level and flat asphalt and concrete and it's like indoors. Too regular. Not enough is being challenged.

I guess I have to find some large loose rocks!

Fortunately, I should find some at the cottage this weekend :)

No comments: