Monday, October 4, 2010

quinoa/lentil/chickpea/tomato/feta thingy

with lemon, chipolte, and tumeric

I recently completed part of an assignment for a nutrition course I'm doing. I had to track my diet for two days, which didn't seem like much considering how long I had to keep a diet journal during the 5-6 month gluten testing adventure...but this time, I had to record quantitatively as well as qualitatively. Out came the measuring cups, spoons, and kitchen scale, and then, after 2 days of eating and a few hours of entering data into software, I found out that I was eating way too much salt.

I love salt. I don't have sweet cravings often but salt is a siren that sings to me daily. Noodles look so naked without a crystalline dusting. I even have salts that are different colours.

I don't have high blood pressure. In fact, mine is sometimes too low.

Still, it doesn't seem prudent that I continue to eat more than 100% of the RDA. I have conveniently forgotten exactly how much salt I was eating, but it was more than 300%, even though I eat relatively few processed foods.

Hence the spices and lemon. A little zing, a little vit C...will see how it goes. It tasted fine but there was definitely something missing.

Meanwhile, I was able to go to the lake this weekend. I don't like running there because I'm lazy: the road is gravel, which is fine, but it's up and down and up and down up down up down up up down. Turns out it's very good for a good strenuous walk, however!

Sat: 20 minutes walking.
Sunday: 1 hr walking--saw turkeys!
Monday: 1 hr walking--saw a coyote. My dog didn't notice it because it was about 100 meters up the road and he had his nose and half his face buried in something, but it and I made eye contact and then it trotted off. We were both a bit taken aback, I think. I wasn't sure if there were more--do coyotes travel in packs?--so I looked around and found a nice thick stick, just in case. When we passed the place where the coyote had been, my dog smelled that something was up, but the novelty of the stick hadn't quite worn off and he was more interested in that. I think he had been smelling coyote pee all along anyway.

And then we came home and walked for another hour and a quarter or so, including the stairs twice. It was a lovely vigorous evening walk. The slanting sun illuminated the leaves amazingly.

Tomorrow, I will run again. I guess I'll stick with 3 minute repeats for now, will see how I feel.

No comments: