Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 126

I woke up really early for some reason, so I grabbed the dog and we jogged for 50 minutes. I will try to get up that early from now on--we were out the door by six and there was still shade and relative coolness, so he didn't overheat. a bit clammy for me, but ok.

Evening--was nearly thwarted by this huge storm moving up, but it has a hole and I seized it. I was especially anxious to get out because this was to be my first speedwork session. I have started a Daniels plan, same one I used before...I still intend to get out with run club now and then but I really needed a few weeks of fast intervals with full recoveries. The run club doesn't do them quite like that and I've missed them. I'm also hoping to throw in some plyos because it's been a very long time, like 2 years?

At any rate, it's been almost a year since I've done the faster intervals!

5-6X (2X 200M, 1 X 400M)
I ended up doing 4 sets because I'm getting back into it and I was running out of daylight...excuses, excuses...I did 2 miles' worth of 'fast' this week and will do 2.25 or 2.5 miles next week, etc.

Times, better than I'd expected but still slower than I used to do. The 200s were all in 41-42 seconds, slow but I'm happy with the consistency. They used to be in the 36-38 second range, but hopefully that will return in time. Meanwhile, the 400s were better than I was dreading: 1:31, 1:31, 1:34, 1:32--the third one was a bit off because I rushed the recovery to get before one pedestrian, and I had to go around another. Still, I was expecting stuff in the 1:40s, and back when I was at my fittest in Maryland, I used to do 1:25ish, so not too bad!

Then I did single leg hops, 2 X 15--those felt pretty random. Oh, well. I've got all summer. LOL

I'm especially pleased with how my form loosened up--I felt tight at first and then things fell into place. Still, the 400s got kind of hard after a while!

The rain held off too--the storms cleared and cooled things down, and the rain kept the path clear pretty well for awhile, so I can't complain. I was going to do this on a track, but I figured it would get muddy.

No comments: