Wednesday, June 29, 2011

speedwork!

So, I think I'm sold on the early September marathon, especially since there will be a 10K a couple or so weeks before on the same route. A good opportunity to test it out!

So, I did intervals at "Interval Pace" (Daniels) this evening (the morning was an 8-ish mile jog with the dog). This pace is hard and slightly rusty. Fortunately, the weather was relatively cool, though windy.

My times were all over the place though (the wind and changing route contributed to that): 3:21, 3:33, 3:29, 3:28, 3:20. I was supposed to run about 3:33 according to my 5K results, but it wasn't my best race (the clammy weather, the jog there, gluten contamination a few days before and thus sore guts, plus an untied shoelace during the race).

Last time I did this workout was last Dec: 3:27, 3:29, 3:28, 3:29, 3:25. This was repeated on the same stretch of road; I will do something similar next week because it is easier to run the same bit over and over again instead of running on and on and wondering where the next stopping point is and why the Garmin numbers are going by so slowly.

I've done 800m repeats prior to that...I guess the best workout was 6X 800m in Oct 2007. I was lighter then, sick but on meds that lessened symptoms, and in general running was going very well. 3:16, 3:11, 3:19, 3:19, 3:22, 3:24. My note says that the pacing was poor (it was around a track, so no excuse!), but it would be nice to be able to do sub-3:20 repeats again. in time!

Next week will be 5X 1000, and I have more past workouts to compare to that. Hopefully the weather cooperates again.

After the running, I did a bit of weights, a bit of bodywork; I had to take a break from Bodywork for a couple of days because I was wiped, but if I do the beginner versions sometimes, I might be able to be more consistent.

No comments: