Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A change of wardrobe.

The dog has a new bandana.

The dog also came running with me for several miles. It was hot today but bearable in the evening, so we went for a jog. He really needed a bit of trotting...I don't run with him every day, especially that we're mostly on concrete and asphalt these days (so no more 5-6X a week in the forest). Every 2nd day seems pretty good, but it hasn't been even that recently. Too hot. He likes running, though, and I think he enjoyed it tonight.

So did I. It was yet another easy run, looking around and so forth. I dropped the dog off after a while and continued on my own. I did just over 9 miles total.

The Japanese lilacs smelled nice. So did a spring going into the river...I suspect it might be adulterated somewhat by refuse, but it still has a nice smell. Kind of fresh, but also of moist stone. Even when the weather's really hot, running by the spring feels cooler. It sort of reminds me of an old old house somewhere down in the tri-state area, probably in Maryland. I went to see it with my friends and it was over 100F--really hot---but it was cool in the house. It had thick walls and the same sort of stone clamminess, but it wasn't entirely pleasant. Parts of it dated from the 1690s. Those old Dutch things sort of creep me out. Still, I was a bit miffed that the tour guide wouldn't take us down to the basement, nor let me go on my own. At the same time, she was panting pretty heavily and I definitely didn't want to stress her out.

Anyway, the principle was the same: damp old stone: cool.

On the emotional front, I was pretty low today, but I got one of my textbooks in the mail and that cheered me up somewhat. My husband is doing well, too, which is a big relief. Plus, he has some access to internet. woo-hoo!

No comments: