Monday, May 11, 2015

~

Back in the saddle?

Today is my first weekday post-job.  I've given myself a month to prepare for a move (sort through/weed through our stuff, pack, repaint, do yardwork, etc).  At first a month seemed excessive, but I now regret not taking more time off.  My job was intense in a sometimes interesting but also sometimes wearying fashion, and it drained me.  The pay sucked too but I learnt and saw a lot, and met some really cool people.  The most fascinating discovery was a type of chronological amnesia during emergencies.  Seconds would crawl by, and then events would burst past the prosaic, and afterwards, hours afterwards sometimes, it felt like no time had passed at all.  

If only I could tap into this while running!  Sometimes, I enjoy every moment, sometimes I enter an endorphin-laced timeless haze, but sometimes I long to exit my body and let it go around for an hour or two.  Especially here.  Running has become so boring.  I wasn't ever that fond of trail running but it's my best option.   I much prefer city runs, productive runs, either commuting or running errands or simply exploring routes and snacks, but there's very little of that sort of opportunity here.   Even my runs to work became boring, and too hot, and thus eventually extinct, not to mention that running 9 miles and then spending the following 9-11-? hrs on my feet wasn't ideal.

I didn't run once during my last two weeks of work; I was too tired.  Between overtime, call, shifting shifts, and appointments/obligations outside of work, I just couldn't catch up on sleep. 

Fortunately, I slept about 13 hours yesterday, and I don't have to return to work for the time being, and so I am out of excuses.  20 min jog with dog #2 and then pushups and situps.  It's my plan to do 20-30 min each morning.  It's summer (tomorrow is supposed to be 34 C) and while there will be cooler days now and then for a bit, I can't expect too much.  However, I also hope to hit the TM for a long run, before the garage heats up too much, so that I can finally watch the Boston marathon.  

2 comments:

Fran said...

Welcome back to writing and running! The universe missed you. :-)

cs said...

Thanks :) I'm doing alright with the running, not so much with the writing, though!