Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ode to a bluefin tuna from Nova Scotia

Like butter, like blood,
Like miles of cold seas.

The tuna made me do my last MP run in somewhat unsavory conditions: 28-26C, 30ish humidex. The run was supposed to be in slightly cooler temps after supper but when we walked into Lapointe's fish store this afternoon, we saw the spine and jaws of a (formerly) 500lb tuna prominently displayed and the much-better-than-usual tuna cuts; we bought a pound's worth and I decided that really good tuna was a much better post- than pre- run meal. I almost never eat bluefin tuna because it's usually not that good and because the fishery seems to be exhaustive, but this stuff was too rare to pass up.

So I had to start my run when it was still hot.

Curiously, it was pretty cold this morning: 14C. But things fired up! I decided that I would try to stay around 8:30/mile, but anything faster than 8:40/mile would be accessible. Also, I didn't run on the race course: that side of the Canal is sunnier and hotter in the afternoon/evening and there is only one drink fountain on the way and none on the actual course portion, versus more shade and 6 or so fountains on the other side. I also decided to run an hour, go home to cool off a bit, then finish.

The first two miles were easy and relaxed. I didn't warm up but I ran 8:32 and 8:29 almost effortlessly on very fresh legs. Then I suddenly got hot, my legs got heavy, and, whoops, 8:45 and 8:49. At this point, there were only three miles remaining (it makes sense and was easy to believe), so I accepted a bit of extra effort: 8:38, 8:32, 8:29. And then it made sense to knock out another mile so that I would be more than halfway done: 8:40.

I spent a few minutes at home drinking cold water and generally absorbing the somewhat clammy atmos of the kitchen.

The first mile back was sluggish: 8:53. DISGUSTING!
Then I ran past my (former?) run club doing sprints--it was nice to see everyone but I couldn't stop. I felt kind of bad about that because I've been away for so long and want to catch up and hear what everyone is up to. It was inspiring to see my friends though. 8:11.
And then I had just a few miles left; I settled into a zone of sorts: 8:22, 8:38 (hill), 8:22, 8:12, 8:12. It was harder than marathon pace should have been at that point, but it could be considered practice for the 2nd half of the marathon. It was a mechanically sensible pace.

Total: 14.06 miles in 2hrs. Pace 8:32/mile. If that will truly be marathon pace, I'll be very happy!

The tuna transcended fish. At bites, it was almost beef-like, at others, fresh like the ocean. We might go back and get more, but will it taste as special again without the 14 MP mile sauce? Sometimes it's best to be satisfied with the one perfect meal.

No comments: