Friday, July 29, 2011

:/

My stomach is feeling back to normal, though!

Today was a marathon-pace workout. According to various calculators and my last 5K time, my VDOT value is 42.8 and my marathon pace is 8:16/mile. WHAAAAAA? Rounding down (incorrectly but more comfortably) to a nice round 42 yields a MP of 8:25/mile.

I didn't quite make it. I ran (suffered?) 12 miles of MP and my average pace was 8:27/mile, not including a few short walk breaks while taking gels and cooling off. I'm happy with that. The relatively refreshingly brisk temps of noon-ish yielded to a sunny clammy 27C or so. I started my run with a humidex of 35C.

Fortunately, I've gotten used to this sort of thing but acclimatization only goes so far. I should have eaten afterward but there was no way my stomach was going to accept anything but water. Other than that, I felt fine. My legs felt relatively fresh (had a timidly squeaking right hamstring but it shut up after an hour or so).

It was a valuable workout; I ran on the route of the marathon that I still haven't signed up for...I don't feel 100% recovered yet, but maybe a week of jogging, relaxing, and avoiding gluten up north will fix things. I'm bringing up GF stuff and will avoid scratched cookware and so forth. Will see how it goes!

No comments: