Sunday, July 19, 2009

update

Sort of...my log is on my laptop, and I don't fancy firing that thing up right now. no wireless here. I'll dump the bare numbers here later.

Meanwhile, it's been interesting getting runs in. I've had to be a bit flexible. We were down in Florida for ten days and I don't think the humidex ever went below 30C, even early in the morning. Fortunately, there was a local gym/shack nearby, and we figured out that if we jogged there, turned the AC on, then returned after a couple of miles, it wasn't too bad. I got in 4 speedwork/resistance sessions while I was there, which I was really happy about. The treadmill was flimsy but it held up well enough. On other days, we did easy runs. I think there was only one day we didn't run. Not bad for the tropics!

1. 5X 1km, 8.0-8.4 mph. This is significantly slower than in the past, but I was sweating my butt off because we'd just arrived and we hadn't found the electrical box to turn the AC on yet. I felt like I wasn't breathing hard enough, yet my level of effort was quite hard.

2. 2 miles tempo, sprints. This was supposed to be 2 X 2miles, but I cut it short. It was at 7:42/mile, which is slow, and I wasn't breathing as hard as usual for a tempo, but my heartrate and sweat glands were working harder than they should have been. It was a disconcerting feeling and I didn't have it mentally together so I canned it after 2 miles and went outside and did a bunch of 10 second sprints instead. Then weights.

3. 2X 2 miles tempo, 7:36/mile. I knew I had to focus, so I was a lot stronger. I found out that if I counted to 100 breaths, it went by a lot easier. It didn't matter so much that I had to do this at least 8 times...the 100 breaths went by pretty quickly and I had enough to think about that I could trick myself that 100 was going to be it. It's great to have another mental tool like this.

4. 5X 1km, 8.1-8.6 mph. I counted 100s again and these went by quickly. The last two, at 8.4-8.6 (I'd bump it up halfway through) felt more honest, so hopefully I can hit them harder next time.

Next time! I'm not sure what I'll be on then, ground or TM.

I'm in NY now and it's the usual not-fun place to run--we're in the hills, and the roads usually have a steep camber, so I don't enjoy it much. I got in a good tempo run, though: downhill (mostly) the first mile, and even with holding back a fair bit, it was about 8 minutes. So I decided that, as punishment, I had to hold that for the next two miles, which were mostly uphill, ending near the top of a steep incline. I managed around 8:10-15/mile, which was tough enough. Then it was another downhill jog home.

The next day, my husband and I ran/jogged/suffered to the top of one of the 'mountains', lol, but it was hard enough. 2 miles up and 2 miles down. I'm thrilled that our average speed up was around 11:00/mile--last time, it was closer to 13:00.

Then we went to visit family in Mass and it was kind of tricky getting a run in there, it being one of those places where the roads somehow aren't swell to run along. Plus it was pretty soggy so we ended up running back and forth under a powerline. No bears, thank goodness.

We're back in NY and I'm hoping we can get on post to use the TM. Not sure. In a few days, we'll be in PA and NJ where the running is PRIME (nice trail loop, BEACH), and I'm really looking forward to that.

I haven't been doing any long runs--longest runs have been about 8 miles--and my mileage the last two weeks has been around, oh, 25-30 miles a week, but I've gotten in speedwork and resistance exercises regularly and I think I'm starting to feel stronger.

At any rate, it's been wonderful jogging with my husband :)

No comments: